Some of the recordings here I still own, and a lot of them I once owned. But many of them I will never own, and that's why I created this blog -- to build a "virtual" record collection unconstrained by considerations like availability, money and space. As a bonus, the virtual collection generates no dust, eliminates clutter, is utterly portable and invisible to my wife! I first started crate digging about 25 years ago (before the term was coined, I'm sure) and have found something of interest in almost every genre and format. Thus you will find here an eclectic mix of items that range throughout American popular and niche music in the 20th century. These days the records I prefer are 78 rpms, but I still collect jazz and soul on LPs and have an ambition to run the James Brown catalog.... After 25 years of digging, I also have a mountain of stuff that I would be just as happy to be rid of. That's the other purpose behind this blog - to get the word out about my store pages at GEMM, eBay, and Venerable Music. The right side column is devoted to links to my store pages and a sampling of items I have for sale on them. To quickly browse the content for items of interest, click on the genre pages below right. The links on each page will (soon) be organized alphabetically by artist.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

YouTube "spins"

Reinventing and re-inaugurating this blog today with a slew of 45 and 78 rpm "spins" from the growing collection on my YouTube page: waxmusic1

Sensationalaires, Touched Me, Zell Records:

I know nothing about this record other than what's on the label. Not for sale.

UPDATE: Thanks to my friend and fellow enthusiast Rodney Klein for a couple of links that shed a little light on this group and record:

Sensationalaires

Zell Records



Glen Barber, Ice Water, Starday 166:

Classic Texas rockabilly from Pappy Dailey and the boys at Starday / Dixie, circa 1956. SOLD

The People's Choice, You're Mine, Veroneeca 493-3727B:

Thanks to Mike Vague for this trade. I know nothing other than what's on the label!

Chocolate Chips, There You Are (I See You), Balance 1001:

Found a handful of these 15 years ago in an apartment down the street from me in L. A. Not uncommon, appears to be about a $50 -$75 record. I might have an extra, but I would be loathe to part with my copy!

Periscopes, Beavershot, WDR 2274M:

WDR stands for Wells Desett Records,other than that, no info. Not for sale at this time.

Cotillions, Do The Things I Like, Tomahawk 6965:

This is a private press, "pay to play" recording made in Columbus, Georgia. I think one of their records was eventually picked up by RCA. SOLD

Cotillions, Ain't No Big Thing, Tomahawk 6965: the flip.



New Yorkers, You Should Have Told Me, Radio City RC1001:

Killer soul. Not as desirable as the original on the Tac-Ful label, but I've seen a lot more Tac-Ful copies than I have Radio City copies.... And why was the artist's name cut out and pasted over on both labels? SOLD

Al Turnage, Hollywood Rock, Corsair 605-B:

Rare early rocker with sax, guitar and piano. Not as gutbucket as I like 'em, but a respectable turn nevertheless! SOLD

Scotty McKay Quintet, Train Kept A 'Rollin, Falcon 101:

Texas fuzz. Scotty Mackay Quintet covering the Yardbirds covering the Johnny Burnette Trio covering Tiny Bradshaw! Not for sale at this time!

The Breakers, Jet Stream, DJB 116:

Scarce midwestern surf / hot rod guitar instrumentals!

Breakers, Beachhead, DJB 116: the flip.

Thirteenth Floor Elevators, Tried To Hide, HBR 492:

This single was pressed without a signed agreement from the band and a small quantity of the records distributed. When the deal fell through, the records on hand and as many as could be retrieved were destroyed, and thus a major rarity was born.

Ken Lazarus, Monkey Man, Steady S-009:

Original version of this reggae / ska cut popularized for my generation by the English Beat.

Tempos, Lockjaw, Master "W" MW-1003:

Obscure northeast Georgia garage single.

1 comment: